Monday, September 19, 2005

Ten days left....

....in this city. 15 days left in this country then back to Canada where I can be an unemployed/unemployable librarian and Myles can be an unemployed/unemployable teacher/artist. Even though we both have multiple degrees we can't seem to get a damn job in our chosen professions.....but as Oscar Wilde accurately stated "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."

I digress.....
I have a feeling I will be bored once back in Canada (after a while of course) and will be wanting to travel again. I will also hate being poor. Honestly we've been living it up financially here because it is so cheap to live. No taxes....no rent.....and the Won just keeps flowing in...and on that note...I may go buy another Blyhte doll costing (approx) $150.00 CAD. Yipee! I would have never been able to forsee myself as a doll crazed lunatic - but here I am!

3 comments:

lorena said...

Is this your first time living abroad? If so, I think you'll see that this itme away is building up a deep appreciation of your native soil. Ironically I hated America until living somewhere I'd worshipped my entire life, so I feared going back to America thinking it would surely be tainted forever. And I didn't have a job or any prospects and my plans to move to NYC fell thorugh due to finding out my boyfriend had cheated on me numerous times so I also had nowhere to live and had to move in with my mother!!!!

But despite all that it was wonderful being home!! But I moved away again 2 months later after I saved enough money being a "henna goddess" at the rennaisance festival that summer...anyway..hi. bye.

Slitely Askew said...

Yes it is my first time living abroad and I (along with my BF) are going back to Canada to live with our parents and we have no jobs lined up. I hope I will have a new appreciation for my home country but I am also expecting that it will feel mundane after living in foreign surroundings...did you find that things seemed mundane when you returned?

lorena said...

Nothing seemed mundane, quite the conrary. America seemed like the foreign country to me upon my return and to my amazement I experienced culture shock for the first few months. Really...I didn't expect it at all. There were moments of mourning over the loss of Italy but they were few and far between in comparison to the happines of rediscovering my native country. And even though I spoke Italian by the end of my stay, it was like stepping into a dream when I was surrounded again by English-speaking Awereicans and refreshingly "cool" Americans (as opposed to the lame ones you meet in a place like Italy - mostly insecure girls swooning over the annoyingly fake and over-flattering and flirtatious men).

One thing that surprised me though was that it seemed no wanted to hear about my year abroad, it was like some people hated that I lived there...that was weird...envious perhaps? I don't know.

In any case, I do hope your return will be a pleasant one.