Thursday, July 07, 2005

Could you pass the subculture please?

Oh sorry - I guess you can't reach it from where you are. Korea that is.

Myles and I often the discuss the anomaly that is Korean culture. This is a very homogeneous culture where terms such as "mixed blood" and "pure blood" are regularly used. If you are a foreigner here you will never be accepted by Koreans and you are a second class citizen in their land. Mixed dating is overtly discriminated and very openly criticized.
Myles accurately commented tonight that Korean culture has no subcultures. A subculture is loosely defined as "a distinct set of behaviour and beliefs that differentiate them from a larger culture of which they are a part." (thanks wikipedia). Individuality is frowned upon. If you don't look and act like a Korean then you aren't one.
I was told by a fellow foreigner that a Korean told him that North Americans are seen as weak because we do what we want and apparently (according to this Korean) it takes much more personal strength to do what is expected of you and not what you want. Well thank the powers that be that I'm a weak weak human.....shame on me.

I guess that's why there are only 6 different hair cut options for men and about 4 different clothing styles for women. That is probably why hair length is regulated in the schools and everyone under the age of 18 wears a uniform to school. Most men over the age of 30 wear suits and you'd be hard pressed to find a women who isn't either dressed like an 80's square or a street walker. On that note......to each their own......long live the individual........dare to be askew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most Asian countries are like that.. to varying degrees. Well, at the very least I know Chinese culture has a lot of the qualities you mentioned.

Slitely Askew said...

Well from what I've seen on my short visit to Japan, it's the exact opposite....I suppose Japan is the exception to all the rules though.